The dream of Waters Edge Church began in late 1997. Our Lead Pastor, Stuart Hodges, and his wife walked away from one of their first seminary chapel services and knew that God had ignited in their hearts a passion for starting a new church. For them, it was a passion for a new kind of church…and a desire to do church differently.
- On December 3, 2002, the start team meets for the first time.
- Waters Edge Church holds its opening service on March 16, 2003, at the Victory Family YMCA with over 300 in attendance.
- In March of 2006, after 3 years of exponential growth, The Big Dream Spiritual Initiative kicks off. This is a time of deep personal growth for Waters Edge Church. A dream to have a greater impact on the Peninsula was born.
- A 6:00 PM service is added in Newport News at the Yoder Barn Theatre in March of 2008.
- June 2009 marks the grand opening of our permanent building at 6830 George Washington Memorial Hwy in York County and the addition of a fourth service.
- Growth beyond our wildest dreams inspires a major Capacity Campaign in May 2010. The result is a clear vision that our church will go multi-site. We will be one church in many locations.
- Renovations begin on the Riverdale movie theater in Hampton in September 2010 with a Grand Opening date of March 6, 2011. Less than 2 months later, a second service is added to accommodate the large crowds.
- February 12, 2012 Waters Edge responds in a big way to its exponential growth by adding 120 seats at the Hampton Campus and a 4:30 PM service at the Yorktown Campus.
- The Unstoppable Initiative launches in the spring of 2012 with 1.2 million in funds given and pledged to open a Newport News Campus in the fall of 2012.
- We become ‘One Church in multiple locations’ on November 4, 2012 with the opening of our third campus. Waters Edge Church Newport News puts us within 10 miles of every single household on the peninsula.
- April 2013, Waters Edge goes global by launching campus number four, Waters Edge Church Online, making it possible to reach people across the world.
- Less than one year after its opening, the Newport News campus adds a second service.
- With Yorktown at max capacity and many other cities to reach, Waters Edge launches a capacity campaign called It Matters in October 2013 that funds the expansion of WEC Yorktown and the launch of WEC Williamsburg.
- February 2014, just 4 months after the It Matters campaign kicks off, Waters Edge Church Williamsburg opens as a portable campus.
- On Easter Sunday 2016, Waters Edge Church Yorktown opened a 1300-seat auditorium and celebrated the Grand Opening that summer.
50 people started this church in 2002 with a laser-sharp focus to reach those distant from God. That clear vision remains the driving force behind everything we do. We will continue to change the way people think about church.